Art fair Foto Tallinn is hiring a curator
The Estonian Union of Photography Artists is accepting applications for a Curator for the 2021 edition of Foto Tallinn.
Foto Tallinn is a contemporary art fair dedicated to promoting and introducing photographic art. Formerly known as the Estonian Photographic Art Fair, it has been organised biannually since 2010 by the Estonian Union of Photography Artists as part of the Tallinn Photomonth contemporary art biennial. As the only art fair in Estonia, Foto Tallinn offers artists a unique format to present their recent works, reach new audiences and form professional relationships. The fair also functions as a platform for facilitating and initiating international collaborations between artists, galleries, curators and critics. Foto Tallinn 2021 is supported by the Estonian Contemporary Art Development Center.
Foto Tallinn 2021 takes place at Kai Art Center on 2–5 September 2021.
This job is for you if you:
● Are interested in developing one of the biggest one-weekend art events in Estonia;
● Are well-oriented in contemporary visual culture;
● Have great knowledge of the contemporary photographic art scene, preferably with a focus on the Nordic/Baltic area;
● Have a wide network of contacts in the field of photographic art and the enthusiasm to expand your network;
● Have extensive knowledge of contemporary art fairs and art markets.
Your tasks will include:
● Working closely together with teams from Foto Tallinn and Tallinn Photomonth in developing and delivering Foto Tallinn 2021;
● Advising the Estonian Union of Photography Artists in planning their future international activities and widening their professional international network;
● Finding new international exhibitors (galleries, project spaces, etc.) to take part in Foto Tallinn 2021;
● Leading the activity of the selection jury of Foto Tallinn 2021 and compiling the final selection of exhibitors;
● Advising artists and galleries in drafting their proposals and finalising their fair displays;
● Carrying out curatorial tours, talks and other events during Foto Tallinn 2021.
What do we expect from you?
● Previous work experience with art projects, preferably working for an art fair or a commercial gallery;
● Excellent communication skills;
● Proficiency in English, both verbal and written;
● Great time management skills and willingness to cope with, at times, an uneven workflow;
● Readiness to travel to Estonia for at least two weeks around the fair dates.
What do we offer?
● Part-time position between the end of March and the end of September 2021 (approximately 6 months) with the possibility of working remotely most of the time;
● A fee proportional to the monthly workload and the candidate’s previous experience;
● A round trip to Tallinn and up to 2 weeks of local accommodation;
● A contemporary work environment at Kai Art Center with a small team of dedicated colleagues;
● A number of networking opportunities within the Estonian contemporary art scene.
To apply for the position, please send us your CV and your vision of what you would like to accomplish at Foto Tallinn (up to 2 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 14 March 2021 at the latest. Finalists will have a video interview with the Foto Tallinn team. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.